Diastemas, or gaps between teeth, can be embarrassing for many. Luckily, cosmetic dentistry is a great way to improve this issue and can help those who suffer from gapped teeth in a variety of ways. Let’s review the many benefits of how cosmetic dentistry can help with gapped teeth.
What is the Cause of Gapped Teeth?
In most cases, diastemas are caused by genetics. A person’s jaw is usually too big for their teeth which causes them to spread out, or too small for their teeth which causes them to crowd and throw the alignment off.
Other causes of gapped teeth might be:
- The overdevelopment of gum tissue (particularly the labial frenum)
- A lack of upper lateral incisors (the teeth next to the front teeth)
When it comes to treatment, Dr. Firouzi is an expert on giving patients a smile they deserve. Treatment options for gapped teeth will vary depending on the cause but may include:
- Traditional and instant orthodontics
- Dental crowns
- Dental bridges
- Dental implants
Each individual will be treated on a case-by-case basis, and Dr. Firouzi will work with you to find the best treatment for your needs.
Dangers of Gaps in Teeth
When it comes to gaps in teeth, there are a variety of health risks such as:
- Gingivitis and periodontitis- due to food getting trapped in the gaps of teeth, bacteria can grow and cause infections which can lead to gingivitis and other gum diseases.
- Bad breath- because bacteria grows between these gaps, this can lead to chronic bad breath or halitosis.
- Chewing problems- with misaligned teeth, it can be uncomfortable to chew certain types of foods and can even lead to chipped teeth.
- Bleeding gums- because gums are more exposed, they become more sensitive. Everyday activities such as chewing and flossing may become painful and cause bleeding.
Benefits of Treating Gapped Teeth
When it comes to the benefits of treating gapped teeth, there are a wide variety of reasons to consider. Some of the benefits include:
- A more symmetrical smile
- Enhanced self-confidence and self-esteem
- Clearer speech
- Lowered risk of dental problems
Contact Us Today
Dr. Firouzi is dedicated to providing excellent cosmetic and neuromuscular dentistry services to his patients in the Pittsburgh area. His team provides a wide variety of teeth whitening, gum recontouring, veneers, smile makeovers, and more. To learn more about Dr. Firouzi and his practice, contact us today at (412)274- 1126 or fill out our online appointment request form.